- See https://mag.uchicago.edu/arts-humanities/five-things-i-learned-about-sumerian-beer , accessed 8 Feb., 2023.
- Tom Standage, A History of The World in Six Glasses (London: Walker Publishing Company, 2006).
People of Corn
- Charles Phillips with David M. Jones, Complete Illustrated History: Aztec & Maya (New York: Metro Books, 2013), 284–285.
- See also Jeffrey M. Pilcher. Food in World History (Themes in World History). Taylor and Francis. Kindle Edition.
- Catherine Allen, The Hold Life Has: Coca and Cultural Identity in an Andean Community (Washington, DC: Smithsonian Books, 2002).
- See also https://americanindian.si.edu/nk360/inka-water/reciprocity/reciprocity
Inca Suspension Bridges
- John Noble Wilford, “How the Inca Leapt Canyons,” New York Times, 8 May 2007.
- Smithsonian, Museum of the American Indian, https://americanindian.si.edu/nk360/resources/The-Great-Inka-Road-How-Can-a-Road-System-be-an-Example-of-Innovation .
- See also the Video at https://americanindian.si.edu/nk360/inka-innovation/#sq3 accessed 3 Feb., 2023.
- Andrew D. Blechman, Pigeons: The Fascinating Saga of the World’s Most Revered and Reviled Bird. Kindle Edition (New York: Grove Atlantic, 2006).
- “RAF Planned Kamikaze Anthrax Pigeon Squadron,” The Guardian, 21 May, 2004. https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/may/21/artsandhumanities.military
Roast Beef Drumming
- Frederick von Steuben, Baron Von Steuben’s Revolutionary War Drill Manual: A Facsimile Reprint of the 1794 Edition (Mineola, NY: Dover Military History, 1985 reprint of 1794 edition).
- Username “John C.,” “Revolutionary War Drum Beatings | Dinner Call, The Roast Beef,” YouTube video, at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqL-bHMYsyQ, accessed 2 Feb., 2023.
- Prof. J-M. Dilhac, “The Telegraph of Claude Chappe: an Optical Telecommunication Network for the XVIIIth Century” at https://mathcs.holycross.edu/~csci356/Dilhac.pdf , accessed 10 Feb., 2023.
- Hugh Schofield, “How Napoleon’s Semaphore Telegraph Changed The World,” British Broadcasting System, 17 Jun., 2013, https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22909590 , accessed 10 Feb., 2023.
- Francis Ronalds, Descriptions of an Electrical Telegraph, and of Some Other Electrical Apparatus (London: R. Hunter, 1823). Google Books link at https://books.google.com/books?id=zos5AAAAcAAJ .
- Rebecca Northfield, “Francis Ronalds: The forgotten father of the electric telegraph,” in Engineering & Technology, 12 July, 2016, https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2016/07/francis-ronalds-the-forgotten-father-of-the-electric-telegraph/ , accessed 4 Feb., 2023.
Brazil and Cândido Rondon
- Todd Diacon, Stringing Together a Nation: Cândido Mariano Da Silva Rondon and the Construction of a Modern Brazil, 1906–1930 (Durham, NC: Duke University Press, 2004).
Talea’s Homespun Cellular Network
- Roberto J. González, Connected: How A Mexican Village Built Its Own Cell Phone Network (Berkeley: University of California Press, 2020).
- Pigeons: https://freesound.org/people/leonseptavaux/sounds/489580/
- Explosions: https://freesound.org/people/craigsmith/sounds/483295/
- Morse code message at https://morsecoder.org/morse-code-generator
- Other video game music and sound effects were created and recorded by me in LogicPro.
- Secret bottom-of-the-screen bonus file: My imaginary video game music here as an mp3. Download it now!