This podcast has dropped like a mug of soda fountain bouillon that’s too hot to handle!
Thank you for checking out the pilot of my podcast. Here, as promised, are some of the main sources I used when researching this episode.
Sources for Episode 101, “Pilot: “You Eat Funny“
Select written and graphic sources
- Modified Atmospheric Packaging (MAP)
- General: https://swine.extension.org/modified-atmosphere-packaging-map-microbial-control-and-quality/
- Introduction by industry source:
- Coca Beef Tonic
- Sacramento Daily Union https://cdnc.ucr.edu/?a=d&d=SDU18810113.2.6&e=
- Liebig’s 1848 description of his meat extract
- Hot soda
- 1913–1914 Hot soda advertisement & hot soda and ABC Bouillon descriptions in the Southern Pharmaceutical Journalhttps://www.google.com/books/edition/Southern_Pharmaceutical_Journal/GvJNAAAAMAAJ
- Beef in the U.S. West
- James S. Brisbin, The Beef Bonanza, Or: How To Get Rich on the Plains, Being a Description of Cattle-Growing, Sheep-Farming, Horse-Raising and Dairying in the West (Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott & Co., 1885). https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Beef_Bonanza_Or_How_to_Get_Rich_on_t/lXspAAAAYAAJ
- Arthur Conan Doyle, Stories of Sherlock Holmes: A Study in Scarlet, The Sign of the Four(New York: Harper, 1904). https://www.google.com/books/edition/Stories_of_Sherlock_Holmes/RY8ZAAAAYAAJ
- Sarah J. Moore, “‘The Great American Desert Is No More’” in Wendy Jean Katz, editor, The Trans-Mississippi and International Expositions of 1898–1899 Book: Art, Anthropology, and Popular Culture at the Fin de Siècle (Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press, 2018).
- Uruguay’s Fray Bento OXO Plant
- Photos from the Museo de la revolución industrial in Fray Bentos, Uruguay https://uruguay360.com.uy/uruguay/rio-negro/fray-bentos/museo-de-la-revolucion-industrial-ex-frigorifico-anglo , accessed 14 Dec., 2022.
- Underwood’s exploding clams & food sanitation
- Genevieve Wanucha, “Two Happy Clams: The friendship that forged food science” in MIT Technology Review, https://www.technologyreview.com/2009/02/24/215536/two-happy-clams/, accessed 24 Oct., 2022.
All of the below sounds are found on https://freesound.org, a collaborative repository of Creative Commons Licensed sounds.
- User “keithpeter,” Steam Train With Whistle, https://freesound.org/people/keithpeter/sounds/125211
- User “phillyfan972,” American Football Practice,https://freesound.org/people/phillyfan972/sounds/323412/
- User “eliasheuninck,” Train Whistle, https://freesound.org/people/eliasheuninck/sounds/170848/
- User “spurioustransients,” Mooing cows, https://freesound.org/people/spurioustransients/sounds/513565/
- User “viertelnachvier,” Factory sounds, https://freesound.org/people/viertelnachvier/sounds/249637/
- User “globofonia” Herd of goats, https://freesound.org/people/Globofonia/sounds/553929/
- User “kwahmah-02,” Supermarket check-out noises, https://freesound.org/people/kwahmah_02/sounds/275073/
- User “soundkrampf,” Ambient supermarket sounds, https://freesound.org/people/Soundkrampf/sounds/237331/
- User “Resaural,” Zapping sounds, https://freesound.org/people/Resaural/sounds/531421/
- User “kyles,” Exploding glass neon tube, https://freesound.org/people/kyles/sounds/453499/